Re: Anchors in current file...

Brian Smithson (brian@eitech.com)
Thu, 15 Jul 1993 06:38:01 -0700

On Jul 15, 3:26pm, neuss@igd.fhg.de wrote:
> Subject: Re: Anchors in current file...
> Dear fellow netters,
>
> Brian Smithson (brian@eitech.com) wrote
> > I'm not sure if it's a bug or a feature :-), but if the anchor is of the
> > form <a href=#label> then the link won't be recorded the window history
> > and Back will not go back to the anchor, but if it is of the form
> > list and Back will work as you had wanted it to. I thought this was
> > intentional and found it to be useful!
>
> I disagree.. let's say you have a list of local links in your file, e.g.
> in a table of contents or something like that. Now if you click on one of
> these links, it'll take you somewhere else in the file, and the only way to
> came from... I *do* consider this a bug!
>-- End of excerpt from neuss@igd.fhg.de

I'm not sure how you can disagree with "I found it useful". I happen to be
a noted authority on my own opinions :-).

About the link behavior: your example is a good one, and you could use the
second (albeit rather verbose) form and it will behave as you want. All I was
saying was that I found the other behavior to be useful in some circumstances.

Now, whether that behavior is legitimate with regard to HTML specs is another
matter...

--
-Brian Smithson                                          brian@eitech.com
 Enterprise Integration Technologies                      +1 415 617 8009