RE: FAQ ??

Jan Hardenbergh (jch@nell.oki.com)
Thu, 20 Apr 95 17:54:00 E

From: bdelong@titan.oit.umass.edu (B.K. DeLong)
> Is there a VRML FAQ where someone can read about VRML and find the WWW,
> gopher links, and ftp sites?
> Or about various browsers? Is this another thing that needs looking into??

If you like this and have stuff to add, send it to me. jch@oki.com.

Archive-name: vrml/faq/part1
Last-modified: 1995/04/20
Version: 0.1

This is a proto-FAQ based on the course notes I'm preparing for SIGGRAPH

I have a strong interest in doing this for less than one month, then I
turn into a pumpkin.

Here is a start. If no better solutions present themsleves, I'll continue
to work on this. My interest is in seeing cool stuff happen. My employer's
interest is in selling 3D acellerator's for PC's. I think both of the
driving forces of VRML (Mark Pesce & TCC, as well as SGI/TGS) bring
a powerful mix of hopes, dreams, and motivations.

1: What is VRML?
1.1: Where can I get the specification?
1.2: What is QvLib?
1.3: What's the history of VRML?
2: What will VRML 2.0 be like?
2.1: How can I participate in the design process?
2.2: When will VRML 1.0 be done?
3.3: What is the design process?
3: What browsers are available?
4: What authoring tools are available?
5: Where can I find VRML data?
6: How can I set up my HTTP server to host .wrl files?

1: What is VRML?

VRML stands for Virtual Reality Modelling Language. What is really
is depends on the limits of your imagination. What is is right now
is a draft specification for adding 3D data to the Web.

VRML 1.0 is a subset of the ASCII Inventor File Format with some
additions to allow linking out to the Web and including other URLs.
The linking out feature (WWWAnchor) provides the same feature that
HREF anchors provide in HTML.

VRML 1.0 was agreed to be the minimal starting point for a much larger
vision. There is a rich set of materials on http://vrml.wired.com
which should be thought of as the primary VRML site.

A fairly recent "VRML Backgrounder" is in the VRML mailing list archive.
http://vrml.wired.com/arch/1010.html

P.S. If I lost you at the Web, (World Wide Web or WWW) you might
try using Mosaic or Netscape to look at one of these:
http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html
http://sunsite.unc.edu/boutell/faq/www_faq.html

1.1: Where can I get the specification?

The VRML 1.0 draft specification is available by looking at the VRML
Tech forum http://www.eit.com/vrml/ or the MS word version is at
ftp://ftp.eit.com/pub/vrml/

1.2: What is QvLib?

QvLib is a parser written in C++ for VRML 1.0. There are LINUX, IRIX,
Sun, NT and Mac versions at ftp://ftp.eit.com/pub/vrml/

By implementing rendering functions in the QvTraverse functions you
can write a simple VRML browser.

1.3: What's the history of VRML?
<insert timeline after folding in comments, add 3-APR-95 & WWW4>

Also, a view from the SGI trenches:
http://www.sgi.com/ion/vrml.ezine.3.95.html

2: What will VRML 2.0 be like?

There are many things to be added to VRML 1.0 to create a full
multi-user 3D environment. There are many features to be incorporated
into a cyberspace system - perhaps only a piece of which is VRML.

2.1: How can I participate in the design process?

There are several mailing lists:
( http://www.sdsc.edu/SDSC/Partners/vrml/repos_mailing.html )

- vrml-modeling@sdsc.edu

Technical discussion on geometry description issues in VRML. Topics
include features of current and proposed geometric primitives,
import/export tools, compatibility with existing systems, implementation
details, performance issues, cross-platform issues, and so
forth. Unmoderated.

add vrml-modeling

- vrml-behaviors@sdsc.edu

Technical discussion on describing behaviors within VRML. Topics include
how to add interaction and animation behaviors to VRML, scripting
language issues, implementation details, and so forth. Unmoderated.

add vrml-behaviors

- www-vrml@wired.com // General discussion on VRML. Unmoderated.

subscribe www-vrml your-email-address

2.2: When will VRML 1.0 be done?

This question should be in the past tense Real Soon Now!

2.3: What is the design process?

I've heard this raised a few times. The current process is that the
authors of the VRML 1.0 (Gavin Bell, Anthony Parisi and Mark Pesce)
discuss issues on the www-vrml mailing list and then revise the spec.

Seeing as the ultimate standards body for VRML is the IETF, this is
probably not too bad. At some point it will become a (new) MIME content
type ("world" or "3D" or "geometry") and a subtype "vrml".

3: What browsers are available?

No browsers are currently available. However, I have seen WebSpace
running on an SGI, the Intervista browser running on a PC. I know that
TGS has given "alpha" copies to a few people on NT (and Sun?), and that
NetPower did a demo at the Interactive 3D symposium. Mark Pesce mentioned
Hyper-G in the East coast VRML Equinox talk.

WebSpace = Template Graphics Software(TGS)/SGI
http://www.sgi.com/Products/WebFORCE/WebSpace/
http://www.sd.tgs.com/~template/WebSpace/
- SGI (SGI) 15-MAY-95
- NT (TGS) 15-MAY-95
- Windows (TGS) 15-MAY-95
- Sun (TGS) 15-MAY-95
- Mac, HP, DEC 15-JUL-95

Intervista WorldView
(nee Labyrinth, )
- NT
- Win 3.1
- Mac
- Sun?

NetPower ... demonstrated at Interactive 3D symposium.

Hyper-G ... Mark Pesce mentioned that were writing a browser.

You too can be a browser writer (geek :-)

4: What authoring tools are available?

There are a couple of translation tools, dxf2iv for SGIs and
InterChange for Windows.

There are also some modeller's coming up soon from ParaGraph,
Radiance, and possibly Virtus?

4.1 Translation tools

dxf2iv -
=========
(tools available for SGI's from ftp.sgi.com)

InterChange for Windows